Europe

See places in Europe

Babia Góra

Babia Góra is a mountain range lying in the band Babiogórski Beskidy Mountains in the Western Beskid Mountains. This is the highest peak in the Polish part of Beskid Mountains. It belongs to the Crown of Polish Mountains.

Since time immemorial, Babia Góra was regarded as the seat of various ghouls and witches. Apparently one of them, called Baba prevented willing ascent. And because the Babia Góra was famous for its numerous peaks, many adventurers wanted to count them. Unfortunately, Baba was unyielding. One evening, when they saw a few hikers who have to rate the summit fell asleep around the fire with blankets nakrytymi heads, and said loudly: “I ​​went already twelve vertices of the mountain, and yet something so strange I could not see.” Then he walked away terrified. He heard one of the conquerors, and in the morning the whole group, satisfied with the information acquired by chance, she could return to their homes.

Today, tourists can deter untrained only steep approach. But it is worth the trouble to ask, because views offered from the top reward dedication.

Babia Góra is the highest elevation in Poland. The apex Diablak has a height of 1725 meters above sea level. This is reflected in the occurrence of floors landscape. In addition to the so-called vegetation. lower and upper montane one can see mountain pine floor and alpine meadows, called halls.

In order to protect natural and landscape values ​​of the slopes of the Babia Góra Babia Góra National Park was created, the first of our mountain parks has been placed on the list of UNESCO world biosphere reserve.

 

Śnieżka

Śnieżka has a height of 1602 meters above sea level, is the highest mountain in the Giant Mountains and Sudety mountains, and also the highest mountain in the Czech Republic. The cone top is covered with rubble rock and rises over 200 m above the pass under the Black Sněžkou and Kopa.

Śnieżka has an extremely harsh climate, by a large part of the year the temperature drops below freezing.

In 1681, Count Leopold von Schaffgotsch built the chapel of St. Śnieżka. Lawrence, which offered the Cistercians. August 10 is celebrated the Feast of St. here. Lawrence, the patron of the guides. The chapel also hosts masses, it happens that while the Polish, Czech and German.

Characteristic base peak Meteorological Observatory is building and the hostel, which resembles the shape of flying saucers. It was built in the years 1967-1976 at the German observatory.

As the first summit in 1456 he entered the Czech Republic, burgher of Benatek nad Jizerou. Later, at the top of their way mostly scholars from the Silesia region. In place of the current Academic thatch shelters, permanent stall, which were commemorative book for travelers. In 1800 the book inscribed to John Quincy Adams, later president of the United States.

Śnieżka is an excellent vantage point, in good weather from the summit you can see almost the entire Sudeten, visibility reaches up to 100km.

Palace of Culture and Science

Palace of Culture and Science is located in the center of Warsaw at Parade Square. It is the tallest building in Poland and the fourth in Europe. Although he has always been unwanted and ignored by the Warsaw paradoxically became a symbol of Warsaw’s most famous building in Poland.

Palace of Culture and Science was built as a gift from the Soviet people for the Polish nation, and the idea of ​​its construction was Joseph Stalin. The designer of a skyscraper was a Soviet architect Lev Rudniew. He designed among other university building in Moscow, which served as the prototype of Polish Palace.

Soviet planners wanted to establish a structure to the tradition of Polish architecture. Therefore held a tour of Poland, whose aim was to gather needed information and get acquainted with Polish architecture. They visited the city include: Chelm, Kazimierz, Krakow, Nieborów, Plock, Pulawy, Torun and Zamosc.

Construction of the Palace of Culture and Science, lasted from 2 May 1952 to 22 July 1955. It worked on about 3,500 Russian workers, who lived in a specially built settlement. During the construction of occupational accidents killed 16 Russians.

March 7, 1953, two days after the death of Joseph Stalin, was given the building a name for the Palace of Culture and Science, the name of Joseph Stalin. Under the resolution of the Council of State and Council of Ministers signed the PRL and Boleslaw Bierut Aleksander Zawadzki. Also expected elevation in the square before the palace a monument of Stalin, but that never was.

Were used for the construction of 50 000 tons of bricks, 50,000 tons of concrete, 16,000 tons of steel. The palace is 230.68 meters high with a spire, and 167.68 meters without her. It is the tallest building in Poland and the fourth in Europe. Outweigh him only two office buildings in Frankfurt: Commerzbank (260 m) and Messeturm (259 m) and the University. £ omonosowa in Moscow (240 m). Bydunek has 42 floors, the 30th floor, at an altitude of 114 m, has an observation deck.

Construction area is 123,084 square meters. The building has 3,288 rooms, including several ballrooms and conference rooms, four theaters, multiplex cinema, museums, bookstores, and pool. It also has established several institutions, including the Science Museum, Palace of Youth, Polish Academy of Sciences, a branch of the Goethe Institute. In the Palace’s Congress Hall, which is Poland’s largest conference hall can accommodate up to a spectacular 3000. The building also hosts various fairs.

On New Year’s Eve 2000 at the Palace was unveiled highest clock tower in the world. Its four wheels are on 6 meters in diameter, making it the second largest clock in Europe.

Palace of Culture and Science still causes controversy among the residents of Warsaw, some of them still consider him a symbol of Soviet domination of Polish. The building has already become the city’s landscape, however, and is now a symbol of Warsaw.

Cape Rozewie

In a well-known under the name Rosenhoupt (other sources: Rosehaupt) point already in ancient times the fire lit, designed to facilitate orientation during the fishermen fishing in the Baltic Sea. At Cape Rozewie, which is the northernmost point in Poland, at the end of the seventeenth century, became a lighthouse.

Unfortunately, after the partitions of the Prussian Polish coast is not burned any navigational light. It shone again only when the right by Rozewie there were several casualties (eg, during a storm in 1807, crashed here 14 French vessels).

The old lighthouse, however, no longer fulfilled its function, so in the mid-nineteenth century, built a new high at 21 meters, with 15 modern Argand lamps. During the modernization in the late nineteenth century building is equipped with specialized apparatus Fresnel, established a three-man crew.

When the wheel Czołpino £ Eby similar lighthouse was built to distinguish the light from the on Rozewie, about 200 meters west of the existing built another. Then they upgraded and older increasing by nearly 13 meters, it was established as a major navigational light on the region.

The lighthouse at Cape Rozewie has modern equipment consisting of two panels of 20 lights each. The range of its light is 26 nautical miles, is about 48 km. During the special fog horn facilitates navigation Mist. so. nautofon, suitable Morse code letter R (as Rozewie). Team of two Lantern (this one is still active) standing on a promontory rozewskim now protects against the sea 800 meters long and hard band.

The lighthouse on Rozewie made famous by Stefan Zeromski, whose name it bears today. According to tradition, the writer lived here from 1920-1924 while writing the novel Wind from the sea. His chamber can be seen next to the established in 1963, Lighthouse Museum.

 

Rysy

Rysy are located in the main ridge of the High Tatras. Its height is 2499 m above sea-level and they are highest peak lying in our country. The top is a three-vertical, the other two lie side wierchołki Slovak and their heights are respectively 2503 m and 2473 m m.p.m..

Scratches are part of the main ridge of the Tatras, which is the point of three tropical ridge. The first ridge extends from lilac and Świnicy Pass by Mięguszowiecka peaks, Beef Back to Rysy. The second comes from the top ridge Rysy in a southeasterly direction to the High. The third ridge is a ridge in the direction of the outgoing Low Rysy (2430 m) to Wyżniego Frog Peak.

The first known ascent made ​​July 20, 1840, Edward John Blasy guided Rumanom Diecznym senior, and first entry into the winter – with Jacob Theodor Wundt Horvayom 10 April 1884 year. In the 90s of the nineteenth century, the first entry Blasego plaque commemorated.

In 1899 the peak came Maria Sklodowska-Curie and her husband Pierre Curie, in 1913 Vladimir Lenin.

Rysy are now fairly besieged the summit, especially in the summer months, although the entrance from the Polish is a difficult trail, with very large exposures.

In 2000 he was started on the top border with Slovakia, which is open during the summer and is the highest border crossing in the whole Carpathians.

Rysy are a very good scenic place, on a clear day you can admire from the top of almost all the major peaks of the Tatra Mountains, several ponds, many valleys, the largest of which are: Mięguszowicka Valley, Valley Stream and Fish-White Water Valley.

 

Sanctuary in Lichen

Lichen Old is a small town in Wielkopolska province, in central Poland. Sanctuary located there is one of the greatest Marian shrines in Poland, visited annually by about 1.5 million pilgrims and tourists.

In 1813, the Battle of Leipzig, was seriously wounded soldier, Napoleonic Thomas Klosowski. He prayed to Our Lady for help, which appeared to him wander to the heart of a white eagle. She promised deliverance and asked him to find her image and surrounded the care of the family pages.

Only after 23 years, returning from a pilgrimage to Czestochowa, near the village of Lgota Klosowski saw the image. First took him to his home in Izabelin the Lichen, and 1844 years has placed in the chapel hung on the pine forest in the nearby grąblińskim.

When in 1848 he died Kłossowski took care of the chapel with Pastor Nicholas Sikatka. From 1850-1852 he was kilkaktrotne visions of Our Lady, which called for repentance and conversion of people. Initially, residents do not pay attention to the warnings until the outbreak of cholera. Before the chapel began to pray for the multitudes, many people rediscovered their faith, and even were healed.

September 29, 1852 the miraculous image was moved to the church in Lichen. The ceremony was attended by 80,000 faithful.

In 1949 the parish came to the Marian Fathers, and in 1967 Polish Primate Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski solemnly crowned the miraculous image, which was awarded the title Queen of Sorrows Polish. The ceremony was attended by 150,000 faithful from across the Polish and the episcopate.

Currently, around Lake Licheń is the third sanctuary Tysiąslecia, which consists of three churches, the 30-meter Way of the Cross of Calvary, and the pilgrim’s home.

One of the churches included in the sanctuary of the Holy Virgin is the monumental Basilica of Our Lady of Lichen. Its construction started in 1994 and completed in 2004. It is the largest in Poland, seven in Europe and eleventh in the world.

It is 139 meters long, 77 meters wide, the height of the tower is almost 130 meters. Visible from afar a huge dome of the basilica is 36-meters in diameter and 45 m in height.

The basilica is built on a cruciform plan. It consists of the main tower, bell tower and three porches. The bell weighs find myself almost 15 tons of bell Mary Mother of God, which is the biggest bell in Poland.

The temple has 365 windows and 52 doors, which symbolize the days and weeks a year, and leads to the Basilica of 33 degrees referring to the years of life of Jesus Christ.

The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.